Is this the best translation of Me Gustas Tu into English?
Justin in NY
2016-09-01 23:29:41 UTC
This is the best I've been able to piece together from various USENET
postings. I think the Spanish is accurate, but I may be wrong there too.
It's the best translation into English that I'm after. One of the main
lines "Qué hora son mi corazón" is obviously nowhere near what you'd say
in English. I'm also never sure when the "the" should be left in or not
e.g. "I like wind" or "I like the wind" as both can sound okay in English?
Any one help?
Cheers.
Qué hora son mi corazón What hour of my heart (???)
Te lo dije bien clarito. I said it very clearly (???)
Permanece a la escucha. Permanence of listening (???)
Permanece a la escucha. Permanence of listening (???)
Doce de la noche en La Habana, Cuba. 12 at night in Havana, Cuba
Once de la noche en San Salvador, El Salvador 11 at night in San Salvador, El Salvador
Once de la noche en Managua, Nicaragua 11 at night in Managua, Nicaragua
Me gustan los aviones, me gustas tu I like aeroplanes, I like you
[ the American "airplanes" is quicker to sing]
Me gusta viajar, me gustas tu I like to travel (travelling ???), I like you
Me gusta la mañana, me gustas tu I like the morning, I like you
Me gusta el viento, me gustas tu I like the wind, I like you
Me gusta soñar me gustas tu I like to dream (dreaming ???), I like you
Me gusta la mar, me gustas tu I like the sea, I like you
Qué voy a hacer? What am I going to do?
Je ne sais pas. I don't know.
Qué voy a hacer? What am I going to do?
Je ne sais plus. I forgot.
Qué voy a hacer? What am I going to do?
Je suis perdu. I'm lost.
Qué hora son mi corazón What hour of my heart (???)
Me gusta la moto, me gustas tu I like cars, I like you
Me gusta correr, me gustas tu I like to run (or running ???), I like you
Me gusta la lluvia, me gustas tu I like the rain, I like you
Me gusta volver, me gustas tu I like to return (???), I like you
Me gusta marihuana, me gustas tu I like marijuana, I like you
Me gusta colombiana, me gustas tu I like Columbia, I like you
Me gusta la montaña, me gustas tu I like mountains, I like you
Me gusta la noche, me gustas tu I like the night, I like you
Qué voy a hacer? What am I going to do?
Je ne sais pas. I don't know.
Qué voy a hacer? What am I going to do?
Je ne sais plus. I forgot.
Qué voy a hacer? What am I going to do?
Je suis perdu. I'm lost.
Qué hora son mi corazón What hour of my heart (???)
Doce, un minuto Wait a minute (???)
Me gusta la cena, me gustas tu I like supper, I like you
Me gusta la vecina, me gustas tu I like the neighbour, I like you
Me gusta su cocina, me gustas tu I like his kitchen (???), I like you
Me gusta camelar, me gustas tu I like camlar (???), I like you
Me gusta la guitarra, me gustas tu I like guitars, I like you
Me gusta el regaee, me gustas tu I like reggae, I like you
Qué voy a hacer? What am I going to do?
Je ne sais pas. I don't know.
Qué voy a hacer? What am I going to do?
Je ne sais plus. I forgot.
Qué voy a hacer? What am I going to do?
Je suis perdu. I'm lost.
Qué hora son mi corazón What hour of my heart (???)
Me gusta la canela, me gustas tu I like cinnamon, I like you
Me gusta el fuego, me gustas tu I like fire, I like you
Me gusta menear, me gustas tu I like to wag (???), I like you
Me gusta la Coruña, me gustas tu I like Coruna, I like you
Me gusta Malasaña, me gustas tu I like (???), I like you
Me gusta la castaña, me gustas tu I like chestnuts, I like you
Me gusta Guatemala, me gustas tu I like Guatemala, I like you
[...]
Cuatro de la mañana. 4 in the morning
Ala-bim, ala-bam
Ala-???, ala-???
Ala-bim, ala-bam
Ala-???, ala-???
Radio reloj... Radio Clock
Cinco de la mañana. 5 in the morning
No todo lo que es oro brilla. all that glitters is not gold (???)
Remedio chino e infalible... infallible Chinese (???)
--
Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
The best colloquial translation of the first line would be: What time is it, dear? Also, Radio Reloj is a famous radio station in Havana that has operated since the 1940s and is heard in many cities. So, translating that bit as "Radio Clock" is literally correct but misleading; if you were walking down the street in London, you would still call it Radio Reloj. Some bits of the song seem to be direct samples from Radio Reloj broadcasts, probably including the times of night given for various cities. Manu Chao is a French musician with deep Spanish roots, and what he seems to be doing here is invoking a cultural touchstone of the entire Spanish-speaking world. He is, in essence, calling out to his tribe.
r***@gmail.com
2018-06-05 15:01:48 UTC
A few things I've unearthed: Colmbiana is the name of a soda pop from Colombia, so it's like saying, I like Pepsi.
Menear has a colloquial meaning as masturbate, so, given the rest of the song, that makes more sense than "shake" or "move hips" or "wiggle"--those are translations of menear, but masturbate seems to fit all his eclectic likes.
Great story about the corazon /que horas son sound alike. Love it!